jake's mom

7.14.2006

Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live.

Yes, I'm a quasi-hipster. I admit it. My only shortcomings are that I do enjoy showers, I don't have oily black hair, I don't wear tight pants, my eyeglasses aren't from Europe, I have serious lack of "retro" shirts from Urban Outfitters, I don't live in Williamsburg, and I have the future possibility of getting a job someday that pays more than $8/hr.

I do, however, love hanging out at coffeehouses. And listening to "underground" music, especially on vinyl. And enjoying one of Milwaukee's finest from time to time at a trendy restaurant. And those wacky fixed-gears entertain me, although I have yet to even ride one. So maybe I'm around 31% hipster. I'm just guessing.

Oh, and I sometimes enjoy Charles Bukowski. Speaking of which, a movie version of Factotum is about to be released featuring Matt Dillon as Chinaski along with Lili Taylor and Marisa Tomei in supporting roles. iFilm even has a clip from the movie, which comes out in about a month.

For those of you not in the know, expect a lot of swearing, copious alcoholic consumption, smoking, sex, getting fired from jobs, classical music, drugs, bar-hopping, and just a sprinkle of poetry. You know, just like my life. Bukowski's work is like an Ernest Hemingway novel if he had been a poor skid row alcoholic writer. It's certainly not for everyone, but might be worth a try.
posted by brian at 11:35 AM | Permalink

2 Comment(s) - Click to View/Hide

 

 
 


[ contributors ]
-contact us-
C
brian
nick
jp

[ links ]
friends
curious character
common sense dancing
phonograph
relative path
takecover!
politics
american progress
daily kos
democracy for america
talking points memo
andrew tobias
tech
engadget
slashdot
tunes
angels twenty
coolfer
kexp
largehearted boy
soma fm
stereogum
the big ticket
ttiktda


Add to MyYahoo This page is powered by Blogger.