jake's mom

9.14.2007

"In actual fact, for me, law school was a cross between boot camp and a cave."

Those wise guys over at Common Sense Dancing found an insightful read for any future law students or recovering law students like myself.

Letter to a Young Law Student - Don't go to law school: But if you must, take my advice. By Dahlia Lithwick.

This advice for the rest of you—who applied to law school simply because you took the LSATs, and who took the LSATs simply because the MCATs were too hard. This advice is for the people who graduated college with the generalized sense that they ought to be doing good works on this planet but were uncertain how to go about it. In short, this advice is for those of you who, like me, went to law school hoping that the experience would be stimulating and/or mind-expanding; a liberal-arts grad school for political people.

Lithwick's column is quite good and I heartily recommend giving it a read if you've ever had a psychotic moment where you've considered attending law school. I wish I'd read it before I started law school and periodically throughout my career there.

Labels: ,

posted by brian at 5:28 PM | Permalink

1 Comment(s) - Click to View/Hide

 

 
 


[ contributors ]
-contact us-
C
brian
nick
jp

[ links ]
friends
curious character
common sense dancing
phonograph
relative path
takecover!
politics
american progress
daily kos
democracy for america
talking points memo
andrew tobias
tech
engadget
slashdot
tunes
angels twenty
coolfer
kexp
largehearted boy
soma fm
stereogum
the big ticket
ttiktda


Add to MyYahoo This page is powered by Blogger.